If you must gift, how about supporting a local artist or charity that gives back!
Here are my top five options:
1. Tap into your creative juices.
Make a gift (if you're a writer you can even stuff that stocking with a poem), or invite those you love for a feast of local-source foods.
2. Buy a book to support a local writer (like Chris Benjamin - to read one of the latest reviews of the book check out JonTattrie's blog.)
3. Support a local artist like Tracy.
4. Give someone the gift of health or creativity. There are several recreation options where you can purchase a pass or go for the creative juices, a painting class or writing class.
5. If you must gift (cuz you're gonna be made to feel like a heel if you don't), you can also purchase gifts to support children here and around the world through UNICEF's Gifts of Magic or Cards & Gifts. You can either shop on-line or we provide a map that tells you what stores in Halifax stock our 'stuffers'.
Most of all, rediscover your 'inner child' over this holiday season. Go play!!